The ruler of Vallachia, Constantin Brâncoveanu (1688-1714) established in Bucharest the Saint Sava Academy at the advice of Constantin Cantacuzino, the minister of internal affairs and a Romanian scholar who studied at Padua. The classes were held in Greek.
The ruler of Vallachia, Alexandru Ipsilanti (1774-1782) reformed the curriculum of Saint Sava Academy. The classes were taught in Latin, French and Italian. Between the years 1776 - 1779 new buildings for the Academy were built.
Gheorghe Lazăr, a Romanian scholar, establishedthe Saint Sava National School where all classes were held in Romanian.
As a consequence of Petrache Poenaru’s education reform, at Saint Sava National School new higher education programmes in law and sciences were created.
The education system was reformed.
First graduating class of law students.
Carol Davila created the National School of Medicine and Pharmacy.
The first stone of the University of Bucharest’s foundation was placed.
The Faculty of Law was established.
The Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Letters were established.
- 4/16 July 1864
The Prince AlexandruIoanCuza (1859 - 1866) established the University of Bucharest by bringing together the Faculties of Law, Science and Letters.
The Faculty of Medicine was established.
The Faculty of Theology was established which, in 1890, was placed under the authority of the University of Bucharest.
The Geology Institute was established.
The Astronomy Observatory was established.
The University’s Electro-technic Institute was established.
The Research Institute regarding South-East Europe was established.
- 1916 – 1918
Due to foreign occupation, the University of Bucharest was closed.
The Romanian Social Institute was established.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine was established.
The Faculty of Pharmacy, the University’s seventh Faculty,was established.
The Institute medico-legal “Mina Monovici”was established.
- 1934 – 1936
The palace of the Faculty of Law was built.
The Statistics and Actuariat Institute was established.
The higher education law was passed.
The Romanian Institute for Geographical Research was established. A long process of abuses and oppressionstarted which was orchestrated by the communist authorities.
The Education Reform Lawwas passed and the soviet higher education system was recreated at the University. As a consequence, the University of Bucharest was reorganized – the Faculties of Theology, Human Medicine and Veterinary Medicine were separated from the University. The academic institutes were abolished and new instituteswere created which were under the authority of the Popular Republic of Romania Academy.
A series of research Institutes were integrated within the University of Bucharest.
Due to the fact that various Faculties were abusively abolished, the University of Bucharest consisted of only six Faculties and approx. 8,000 students.
New Faculties were established, the education system was reformed radically, new research centres were founded and the number of students enrolling increases significantly. During this time, the University’s number of international collaboration agreements raised.
300thAnniversary of the foundation of the Academy and the 130thAnniversary of the establishment of the modern University of Bucharest.
The adoption of the University of Bucharest’s Charter.
The adoption of the Strategic Plan of the University of Bucharest.
The University of Bucharest has 18 Faculties and more than 20,000 students.
The 19thFaculty pertaining to the University of Bucharest – the Faculty of Business and Administration – was established. The University has more than 30,000 students.